The White House Tavern resides in the historic A.G. Sheppard House at 302 East Hopkins Avenue. The house was built in 1883 on a lot purchased from Isaac Cooper for $300. It served as a miner’s cottage at the turn of the century and it remains one of the oldest structures in Aspen. Throughout its history the building has been used for both commercial and residential purposes.
The White House Tavern is an excellent example of the Carpenter Gothic style, characterized by wooden interpretations of Gothic structures. Carpenter Gothic homes feature steeply pitched roofs, jig-saw cut trim elements and all-white color schemes with brightly colored accents, such as our red door.